4 Questions for Programs?
1) What are our base concepts?
- For them it is pulling guards, TE and FB power running.
- He believes these concepts should be limited so that technique can be emphasized
- "Muscles are dumb"
2) How many formations, shifts, motions?
- Maximize this area in order to disguise the overall simplicity of the offense
3) What base defenses will we face?
- For them, this meant a lot of QB boot passing to take advantage of the defenses they faced
4) How do they use their safeties?
- Are they used primarily as run defenders or pass defenders?
- Does their technique and scheme allow you to open up your passing game?
Examples of Answers:
Lead O Play
Watch the play of the safeties....are they deep? or are they creeping down on the run play as it gets pounded inside. Once they begin creeping it sets this up.....
Play action Passing
Watch the play of the Backside Defensive End, is he crashing down on the LEAD O play? If so, it opens up....
If the safeties are sitting back and the BSDE is not crashing, then keep running the power run game.
"LIVE FOR THE 4-5 yard GAIN.....THESE ARE BODY BLOWS TO THE DEFENSE."
Creating Conflicts for the Defense
Unbalanced Rule=2 foot splits
Weak G Power
-ONLY AFTER THE GROUND GAME HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED DOES STANFORD WORK IN PLAY ACTION.
PA off COUNTER
THE TE AND FB ARE NEVER ALLOWED TO STEP OUT OF BOUNDS. LOWER THE SHOULDER AND PLAY POWER FOOTBALL!
IDEAS FOR PRACTICE
Every padded practice begins with Oklahoma Drill
-Football is a game about blocking and tackling and this has both.
Limit each segment of practice to only 10-12 plays. (5 reps for 1's, 4 reps for 2's, back to 1's)
Fullbacks are lesser athletic LBs
MAKE THE DEFENSE PAY FOR WHAT THEY DO GIVE YOU.
Lastly, maybe my favorite clinic quote of all time:
When speaking about the cutback lane on inside zone, "We teach our backs that sometimes, a giant cutback lane will open on the backside A gap, if they see it they should take it, but they shouldnt be looking for it all of the time. It is like a $20 dollar bill. If you are walking down the block, and you see a $20 you should take it, but if you spend your whole life walking around looking at the ground as you go hoping to see a $20 bill, youll most likely get his by a fucking bus!!!"
That's classic, and very true.